Thursday, July 16, 2009

How do I fix a bad sector on my hard drive?

Before you replace, I always like to try for a repair. Most hard disks actually have some spare sectors they set aside for exactly this purpose.

"You could get lucky and be able to save a few bucks."

On WINDOWS XP, I'd start with a "chkdsk /R" (Without "quotes"). (/R: "Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information"). Fire up a Command Prompt to run that command. You can access Command Prompt by going to Start, Programs, Accessories, and then click on Command Prompt.

Under Windows 9x (95, 98 and Me), I believe scandisk has an option to do a surface scan and repair as well.

Another highly regarded option is a product called "SpinRite" available here:

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you Subscribe to the Blog to receive new posts in a reader or via email.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "How do I fix a bad sector on my hard drive?"

Post a Comment